Saturday 13 October 2012

Queen's Jubilee weekend baking!

I'm afraid this post comes rather late in the year as the Jubilee was in June, but as I only started this blog yesterday I am trying to catch up!
I spent my Jubilee weekend at a wonderful British themed 21st birthday party, and the other part I spent baking for family friends!
I made some Jam sandwich star biscuits, and I made a Royal pavlova! 

The Pavlova was so yummy and very easy to make (as I have to admit that I did cheat and buy the meringue cases from my local farmshop, but were even more tasty as they were hazlenut meringues!) but I think it looks great!


The recipe:

-2 Meringue cases (mine were shop bought!!)
-Double cream
-Selection of Strawberries and Blueberries
-Icing sugar to decorate

To make:

-Get your first meringue base and place it on to the stand/plate you want to use (so you dont have to move it!)
-Whip the double cream until you have a thick cream that you can spread on to the meringue base. Then press chopped strawberries and blueberries in to the cream
-Put the meringue top on top and then repeat the process, with the whipped cream on the meringue. Then decorate the top with more strawberries and blueberries - you can use whatever pattern you like but I went for the British flag!
-Then sprinkle on some icing sugar and enjoy!




Along with my pavlova I also made some Jam sandwich star biscuits! They are so buttery and just melt in your mouth! You could use any flavoured jam you like as well, I used Strawberry in mine!



The recipe: (makes about 25 biscuits)

-225g butter, cubed (at room temperature)
-100g caster sugar
-200g Plain flour
-100g ground almonds
-150g Jam (any flavour you like!)

To make:

-In a large bowl mix together the butter, sugar, plain flour and ground almonds until it forms a dough (this may take a bit of elbow grease!)
-Then bring together the dough in to a large bowl and wrap in cling film and refrigerate for at least an hour or two
-Preheat the oven to 140c/Gas 1, and line a baking sheet
-Remove the dough from the fridge and roll out to about 5mm thick, then use a cutter shape of your choice (I used a star!) and cut out the stars
-Divide the biscuits in half and cut a little hole in the middle of them (as they will be the top part of your sandwich biscuit) and place all the biscuits on to the baking tray
-Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes until golden brown on the top and bottom, and leave to cool on a wire rack
-Once they are cool, get your pairs of biscuits together and put a good splodge of jam on to the bottom biscuit and then place the holey one on top!
-Then enjoy - mmm mmm these are good!



1 comment:

  1. all looks amazing and yummy! Specially love the quote from Julia! xxx

    ReplyDelete